This blog will chronicle my journey surviving ovarian cancer

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Hair by Hair

Well...it has started. My hair is falling out.UGH! These last few days when I touch my hair a few strands come out. Now this is EVERY TIME I touch it. I was AFRAID to wash my hair this AM...would the drain be plugged WITH MY HAIR?

I thought loosing my hair would be no big deal. Right now it feels like a big deal. Oh, I have already deceided I will shave my head. I didnt think it would happen so soon.

Saturday I went wig shopping. WARNING: do not do this alone. While everyone was helpful, it is hard to see yourself. You need to have someone you trust, who knows you well. Who will say-no way-get it off. There were people saying "Honey, that looks great" way too many times. AND when I look in the mirror, I think who is that person-it is so not me.I see WIG WIG WIG. I hate it when you look at someone and it screams wig, just like when a man wears a toupee.
I see that darker hair looks more realistic( I want my wig to look close to my natural color). The wigs for me were either too blond, or too red. Beside all the trying on and looking in the mirror, there is all that stuff going on in my head. I still have some deniel going on . Sometimes I think "CANCER I have cancer?" It is a real balancing act to keep THE FEAR out of my head.

Sooo, I didnt buy/order a wig I thought I needed to think about it. Yes, and here I am Sunday AM worried that I will only have a few strings of hair(and NO WIG to save me). Barry and I are going to a brunch at a friends house with about 20 people attending . I want to continue to look good thru this journey. Hell, why cant I look GREAT? Thats what I want to do.
The cost of a wig? Whoa...the less expensive ones , such a Rachel Welch etc are about $50 and under-however the hair in the front is funky and they really dont look that good. Most of the ones that look good are around $250. The real hair wigs are $800.
The Cancer Center has free wigs, used wigs etc. Last week a few of us from the Ovarian Cancer support group went to try on these wigs. There was nothing there for me that was right. Most of them looked totally forced.
Am I too vain? Probably...I like taking care of myself and doing all that I can do to look my best.
I am thinking after the brunch Barry and I can find a wig store open today (small chance). I think he could help me. Monday AM I leave for my 5 days of chemo and I could easily be bald at the end of the week. This is a rollar coaster ride for me right now. Love, Suzanne

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home